Something to mull over...


Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Indecent by Ethan Brant - A captivating angst-driven thriller


This book attempts to track the life of a man who had a rough childhood, but who, through sheer toughness, political acumen, ambition and determination, rose up the ranks of the underworld, but inescapably remained a pawn of his country’s secret “police” organization. The book is written in first person, so as a reader, I got to know the exact thoughts, reflections, decisions and emotions of the main character.

Here are my thoughts: The story is well written and edited, given that English isn’t the primary language of the author. The story is fast paced and captivating, in the same way that Now You See Me was fascinating. I allowed myself to dwell in that state of suspension of disbelief while reading this book. Entertainment value is high.

At the end of the day, I recognize that this is a work of fiction, and this is reflected in the gaps in the credibility of the timeline of the series of events, and the accelerated growth and unusual adaptability of the main character. He is obviously crafted as the anti-hero in this series. I also recognize the angst of youth (of the author) which bleeds through the main character’s musings. Below are a few of the more interesting musings that I have bookmarked:

“Cigarette butts filled the cracks of the cobblestones, lying there as a reminder that things always burn out when they light up, no matter if that fire started for a good reason or a bad one; no matter the feeling it provided.”

“How was it possible that someone could escape from reality, from his mind into space between those two and dangle in the air, defy gravity, without belonging anywhere?”

“…Nicotine (it) flowed through my veins, into my brain, making me slightly dizzy, and then waking up my long missed friend happiness, true happiness.”

This book made me miss being in college, when quotable thoughts like these were constant in my mind.

Recommended.

Disclosure: I was offered a complimentary copy of this book by the author.

Available in Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment